Thursday, June 16, 2011

Busy Bee

The giant bumblebees are busy gathering nectar from the red clover in my yard and I am busy with putting in my first garden in 10 years!      





Patches of red clover came up in my rag tag back lawn and I decided not to pull them out but let them blossom.  It is just lovely and as you can see the bees think so too. 

The pea patch is coming along well.  The first row are early peas and they have little white blossoms already.

This day-lily has buds that should open this week and I tucked some red lettuce and a johnny jump up plants underneath.  If you look closely you can also see a chive blossoms peeking through the lily leaves.

Broccoli, kale, purslane, arugula seedlings

I still have lots of seedlings to pop in here and there.  

sweet pea and morning glory seedlings


The sweet peas are growing in recycled toilet paper rolls.

Tomato and Pepper Patch
Rose Peony





My neighbor has the most beautiful bed of peonies.


Pink Peony


Burgundy Peony


This is only a small part of the peony bed.  My neighbor let me take home a huge bouquet and the intoxicating scent of the flowers fills the house. I am hoping she will give me a good size clump for my yard.


While I work Poonie plays with her big pink ball.

2 comments:

QueenStina said...

What a cutie dog. And the garden is coming along nicely.

Happy Gardening,
-Kristina K.

http://www.urbanfarmwife.blogspot.com

Aline said...

Poune is licking her ball! She must be thrilled to have a pretty pink one that she doesn't have to share with kids!
The garden is looking very Alys-esq! love and hugs xx