Sunday, October 31, 2010

Autumn In Full Swing and Winter Nipping At Our Heels

Purchased these beauties from the farmer down the road.  The big one is a howden pumpkin   and the little one is a sugar baby destined for my favorite, pumpkin pie.
I bake my pumpkin, I find it the easiest way to cook pumpkin.  Just wash pumpkin, cut in a few pieces, add a bit of water in the bottom of a pan and bake at 375 for about an hour.  After it is easy to remove the skin and mash.



I am loving my little house, the move was not without a few glitches but I feel at peace here. I am further from work but most of the extra drive is in the country so the view is amazing. All the trees dressed in their best autumn colors, and after years of dreaming of planting fall bulbs I can finally plant some! I ordered the bulbs from Veseys an east coast seed company that carries the best seeds, plants and bulbs.



I chose a collection of scented tulips for the front yard beside the driveway so that when I step out of the car I can hopefully smell them.  I also ordered a gorgeous fuschia pink tulip called Barcelona, a collection of daffodils that promises 100 days of blooms!  Oh and more tulips and dutch irises,  all in all almost 200 bulbs!

When I said winter was nipping at our heels this is what Poupoune and I saw this morning when we went to go out the back door.  

The lilac bushes are covered with snow!  The snow will not last, it should all be melted by late afternoon but it will soon be here to stay.  I have found all my winter gear but the knits need a wash to freshen them up, I will do that today.


1 comment:

Aline said...

Poonie has never been very easy to capture on film. This reminds me I have to plant those bulbs you gave me.